One of my favorite actors died yesterday from apparent suicide. I wanted to address something I've been doing very wrong. Working in emergency care, it is very easy to become callous. We make jokes about things that would horrify most people, and I know that is a coping mechanism. EM workers see horror on a daily basis, so naturally we poke fun at it. What I wanted to point out is the samage it does to the people dealing with psych problems. Our line of psych rooms (affectionately dubbed psych row) are not filled with jokes, no matter how ridiculous their behavior is. When you think about it we should be really concerned for them, that crazy outburst is reality for them. They honestly might think that someone is trying to harm their loved ones or that some otherworldly being is stalking them, or be completely unable to feel any semblance of true happiness. How terrifying that has to be. The worst possible thing we can do is laugh at their very real anguish. When you think about it, it's truly heartbreaking.
I'll end with this
"What I might do is watch Mrs Doubtfire. Or Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting and I might be nice to people, mindful today how fragile we all are, how delicate we are, even when fizzing with divine madness that seems like it will never expire." -Russle Brand
No comments:
Post a Comment